Setting up Eye-Fi Direct Mode with an Android phone or tablet
Enabling Eye-Fi Direct Mode provides you with the freedom to send photos and videos directly to your Android smartphone or tablet. By enabling Eye-Fi Direct Mode, your Eye-Fi card will broadcast a pre-defined wireless network that your Android device can use to receive photos and video from the card. In order to make use of Eye-Fi Direct mode on your Android Smartphone or Tablets you will need to be sure you have the following before you begin.
- Eye-Fi Center version 3.3.0 or higher
- Eye-Fi X2 card with firmware version 4.5021 or higher
- Android device running Android 2.1 or higher
- The Eye-Fi App for Android
- Computer and Android device with an internet connection
- Android device with WiFi enabled
Setting up Eye-Fi Direct Mode involves updating Eye-Fi Center, updating your Eye-Fi card firmware, deploying your cards Direct Mode WiFi network and finally, pairing your card to your Android device. Thereafter whenever your card has media to transfer it will broadcast its direct Mode network that your Android device will use to receive media from your Eye-Fi card via the Eye-Fi App for Android.
Part I: Enable Direct Mode on your Eye-Fi card
- Update Eye-Fi Center
- Update your Eye-Fi Card Firmware
- Launch Eye-Fi Center if not already running and insert your Eye-Fi card
- Select your card from the Device list and click the Settings gear icon
- From the Network Tab, select the ‘Direct Mode’ sub-tab
- Check the ‘When no known Wi-Fi networks are in range, start the Direct Mode network.’ check box*
- Choose different settings for the “Wait” sliders if desired
- Click the “Save” button
*The Direct Mode network will only deploy if there are no other networks for the Eye-fi Card to join.
Part II: Download and set up the Eye-Fi App for Android
- Go to the Eye-Fi app for Android page on your Android device
- Download Eye-Fi for Android
- Be sure that Wi-Fi is enabled under the “Wireless & network settings”
- Install Eye-Fi for Android
- Sign into your Eye-Fi account
- Click the menu button on the phone to bring up additional settings on the home screen of the app.
- Select Eye-Fi device settings, then select the Eye-Fi card you would like to pair with your Android device
- Press on the box to check the pairing option
- Select the media types you would like to transfer. If you are changing the pairing from another device, press switch.
- Tap the ‘Ok’ button
- You will see a small pop-up at the bottom of the screen stating that you have successfully paired your Eye-Fi card with your Android device
Your Eye-Fi Card and Android device have been paired. When your card has photos ready to be transferred, your Eye-Fi card will start a Direct Mode network. About 30 seconds later, your device will prompt you to disconnect from the internet and connect to your Eye-Fi card Direct Mode network. Press the “Connect” button to start to receiving files.
Part III: Sending photos to your Android device
- Insert your Eye-Fi Card into your camera and shoot several pictures
- Start the Eye-Fi app if it is not already running on the device
- Click “Connect” if prompted on your device to connect to Eye-Fi card Direct Mode network (this may happen automatically)
- Photos will start to be received in a few moments